PR is an abbreviation for public relations. When you hire a publicist, it’s their job to get your name out there. This is usually through press releases, interviews, and social media. Many companies stop there, but making sure you’re at the right events (and potentially hosting those events), on the list to present awards, nominating clients for awards, and doing signings are also important.
It’s not just the services a publicist offers, but also their experience, contacts and reputation. A lot people think they can do PR, but it’s not as easy as it looks. It takes more than just saying you’re a publicist. Make sure to hire an experienced professional.
Here are a few things to consider before potentially hiring a publicist:
- How long has your publicist been doing PR? If it’s less than a year, they’re probably trying to use you to build their name.
- What is their reputation like? Do people like them?
- What do you really know about them? Did they come out of nowhere and just start doing PR? Are they just a fan boy trying to get close to the girls?
- Do they have a college degree and/or relevant experience?
- What kind of results do they produce?
- Can they write a press release without grammatical and spelling errors and/or incorrect information?
- What kind of contacts do they have?
- Are they promising you the moon? If it sounds too good, it probably is.
- What are they charging you for their services? Are they offering free or discounted services?
If you want to know about us, we’re transparent—there are no mystery figures here. Erika Icon is the owner, and she has a stellar reputation, excellent writing skills and always produces results. Her degree is from UCLA and she has a background in advertising. She’s been in adult for 10 years and has written for AVN and XBIZ. She’s been doing PR for eight years, and owned her own company for seven years. We never farm out our press releases to other writers. Erika takes the time to write unique press releases that stand out and are creative.
The company’s assistant is Dixie K. She’s studying marketing at a private college, hopes to become a publicist when she graduates, and is getting invaluable experience working with us.
We never over promise and we truly care about our clients. We offer highly personalized attention to every client and only take a limited amount of clients.
Our clients have had amazing mainstream exposure. They’ve appeared on reality shows and in major publications like Cosmo, Elle, Refinery29, and The Daily Beast, along with adult outlets like Hustler, Penthouse, and Playboy.
We charge a reasonable rate and never give away free PR or offer discounts to attract clients. We’re also extremely ethical, and never poach clients from other agencies and/or publicists. In fact, 95% of our business is referrals from current and past clients.
If you’re curious about PR and want to do it the right way, contact us.